The “Centre de Recherche Public de la Santé” (Public Research Centre for Health), short ”CRP-Santé”, is the leading public organisation for basic, pre-clinical and clinical research in life sciences in Luxembourg. CRP-Santé has been founded in 1988 based on the first Luxembourg law on research and development (R&D).
CRP-Santé’s mission is to deliver scientific, economic and societal value for Luxembourg by performing research, studies and developments in the fields of clinically-oriented biomedical research and public health. CRP-Santé’s activities lead to the generation of new knowledge in disease mechanisms, epidemiology, diagnostics and treatments of human diseases, and they improve the understanding of health determinants and of the financial structures of health care.
At the forefront of biomedical research, CRP-Santé aims at translating knowledge into clinical applications impacting on healthcare while shaping personalized medicine. To reach this vision, CRP-Santé has set the following goals for 2013:
1. to be recognized by the international scientific community for the excellence of biomedical and translational research, while at the same time creating value for the local society
2. to be the national leader in biomedical and clinical research, implementing personalized medicine in our country in close collaboration with hospitals, health care providers and other national and international actors.
3. to be the first supplier of public health information in Luxembourg, enabling public authorities to make decisions based on scientific data and to communicate validated data to international institutions
4. to be a reliable and active partner for training and higher education in close collaboration with national and international universities
CRP-Santé’s research activities are developed within the following five thematic research departments:
These thematic research departments receive support from three competence centers ;
CRP-Santé’s actions are driven by the following values:
1. Participation of collaborators: CRP-Santé favours pro-active sharing of information and active contribution to decision-making at all levels of the organization.
2. Organizational flexibility: within the frame of its missions, CRP-Santé supports organizational and personal flexibility
3. Professional attitudes and intellectual integrity: CRP-Santé promotes creativity, innovation and professional attitudes at all levels, based on the highest intellectual and ethical standards.
4. Self-fulfillment: by supporting values of self-respect, respect towards others and the environment, CRP-Santé encourages employees, clients and other stakeholders to pursue their goals of self-fulfilment within the frame of the organization’
CRP-Santé has 200 scientific and 50 support staff, which performed in 2012 more than 154 research projects and published 107 peer-reviewed papers.
CRP-Santé actively interacts with national research partners (i.e. hospitals, the life sciences unit of the University of Luxembourg, the Luxembourg Centre for Systems BioMedicine (LCSB), the Integrated BioBank of Luxembourg (IBBL) and other public research centers). Among multiple international collaborations, the most relevant are the partnerships with TGen Foundation in Phoenix, Arizona (www.tgen.org ), with the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (www.fhcrc.org ) and the Institute for Systems Biology, both in Seattle, Washington (www.systemsbiology.org ).